Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Leaf Twenty-seven: Simply Thankful



I have had a hard time putting leaf twenty-seven into words. Over the past week or so, it has been difficult for me to put my thoughts and feelings on paper. The best way I can think to describe what I am experiencing is this: a sensation of comforting warmth.  I feel connected to the world around me in a deeper more spiritual way and I find myself noticing and appreciating the loveliest, most simple things that surround my life.



My leaf this week is about gratefulness. One of the things that Dr. Brené Brown talks about as being necessary to a wholehearted life is taking the time to incorporate gratitude practice daily. She states that those who live wholeheartedly, despite busy, hectic, stressful days, remember to save a moment to say, “I am grateful for…”. For Brené, this simple practice is how we keep gratitude alive within us.



Simply thankful was ignited during a conversation Dallas and I were having about higher power and what keeps us grounded in our lives. He shared that every night he says a prayer of gratitude for the place he is at in his life and the gifts he has been given. This moved me in a powerful way as Dallas was willing to share a deeper part of himself and to see the absolute thankfulness he maintains for his life. I think this is exactly what Brené would call gratitude practice. With that in mind, I began to think about the ways in which I cultivated gratitude in my life. I feel thankful daily, but how do I keep it alive?



My goal since Dallas and I’s conversation that night was to notice and take in the glorious world I encounter daily. Never before have I felt more appreciative of the simple, yet most captivating moments around me.



Running is my sanctuary. It calms me. It moves me. There is no other time when I feel more free. During my runs this week, with gratitude in mind, I took the opportunity to release what I needed to, but to also soak in the beautiful place around me. I discovered my own gratitude practice, what I am now calling, “thankful runs”, on the beach in Cardiff.  I am so deeply grateful for this place.



On Sunday along the coast, I watched a woman push her husband in a wheel chair so he could enjoy the glorious view also. I am thankful for that simple, pure, giving love.



 I am thankful for the little boy I saw fishing with a pole he created himself. His focus. His carefree nature. His drive to succeed.



I am thankful for the fresh breeze that comes off the water and the way the sand feels inbetween my toes.



I am thankful for the strength of my legs.  That they have the power to push through the stress, anxiety, and fears.



My “thankful runs” allowed me to notice the beauty around, but also gave me time for reflection.



I am grateful to be an MFT. For the opportunity to be in a field where I get to help people at the most precious times in their lives and that they trust me.



I am thankful for the laughter and joy that comes when with great friends. I had a night out with Lily and Al, we laughed and danced more than anything. There was so much joy. I am thankful for that joy and the feeling that overcomes you when you are surrounded with those you love and no one else in the room matters.



Over the weekend, I got to meet Dallas’s mom and sister. What a beautiful, loving family. I feel grateful to have met them. I feel thankful to be a witness of the unconditional love and warmth they have for one another. It was real, in the best kind of ways.



This week’s leaf is a bit scattered. I knew I wanted my new leaf to be about gratitude practice, but as the week went on, I did not really know how to put it all into words. What it came down to was this, I woke up each day enjoying and recognizing the simple, yet incredibly valuable things in my life. I took time to love the moments and to be appreciative of this one of a kind life I have. I am left feeling peaceful. It’s a breathing, loving, laughing, the world is brighter and more giving kind of feeling.



My “thankful runs” will forever be a ritual of mine. How are you simply thankful in your life?









No comments:

Post a Comment