Thursday, August 23, 2012

Leaf Thirty-one: Defining Our Decade


Lately, I have been slacking on my blog writing. Fifty-two leaves and wholehearted living have been constantly on my mind, but I have not given myself the time to sit down and write. Writing for me, like exercise, is one my greatest releases. I love being able to put my passion about what is going on into words. As I reflect on the past couple weeks, I realize how much I have missed taking the time each week to write about the way I have lived wholeheartedly. Writing about my leaves has become a part of my wellbeing. It holds me accountable for my goals, inspires me, and fuels my heart for the next week. Tonight, after a long day at work, I knew I needed to devote time entirely to me. I couldn’t think of anything better than to share another amazing leaf.

 

A few weeks ago, I started a book called “The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter and How to Make the Most of them Now”, by Meg Jay. While I have one section left to finish in the book, it of course, like most of the reading I do, has inspired me. The author is a clinical psychologist who speaks from her experiences working with twenty-somethings as well as thirty-somethings, forty-somethings, etc. She captures the essence of profound decade of our lives, our twenties.  The message is about what it means to thrive during our twenties so we do not have to play catch up in our thirties and forties. As I conclude my final year of graduate school, the book has helped me gain a stronger perspective on where I am right now. I am not reading and feeling discouraged about my twenties. More like identifying progress, recognizing areas for potential growth, and embracing new information. One of my favorite things about the book so far is that the author has motivated me to think about the aspects of my future that have not necessarily been a part of my education. No one tells us what life is going to be like after college, no one talks about the transition from being a student to working 9-5, no one tells us how to find a partner to spend the rest of our life with. It’s overwhelming. After I started the book, I recommended it to all my girlfriends because the information is incredibly rich to our decade. It talks about the things that no one else does.

 

As I think about defining my decade, I cannot help but reflect on the people who I began the journey of my twenties with. Over the past weekend, my two roommates from college, Mags and Melo, came to San Diego for a reunion get together. Our fourth partner in crime, Lex, was greatly missed. She could not make it for the weekend, but I know we all kept her spirit in our heart. Since we graduated in 2010, we have not been able to plan something where we were all in the same place, so this weekend was incredibly special and one I will cherish for the rest of my life. What these women mean to me is often beyond words. We spent four pivotal years learning and growing together during some of the most precious moments we will experience in our lifetime. There will never be anything comparable to my college experience, where these women set the foundation for my wholehearted life and shaped me into the person I am today.

 

It was powerful to see how Mags and Melo have defined their twenties over the past couple years. They shared stories over the weekend that spoke so much truth to what it means to figure out who we are. I felt proud of them, thankful for their courage and inspiration. I felt blessed to be able to meet them in the moment, to share my growth and to feel their support and love. I have difficulty putting into words the power of our weekend together. We knew each other on the some of the deepest levels in college. To see the way we the four of has have evolved and grown, while maintaining that same spirit from college is amazing. I feel blessed for each of their friendships, for the gifts they have given me about what it means to live and love with our whole hearts.

 

This weekend we relit the fire that connects us all. The one of a kind friendship that has persevered through the ups and downs of the past six years. I think that’s how you know something is real, when no matter how long you are apart, the moment you reconnect it is as if nothing has ever changed. As I move forward in my life, as I define this decade, I know it will be supported by incredible women. Thank you to Mags, Melo, and Lex for bringing so much beauty into my life, I love you all so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment