Friday, January 13, 2012

Leaf Two: Volleyball



This week, I finally started playing volleyball again, something I have been meaning to do ever since I moved to San Diego a year and a half ago. Somehow I let my busy life and need for an uninterrupted routine get in the way of doing what I loved. A big thanks goes out to my co-worker, Yasi, for helping me get the ball rolling. She has been asking me to come play ever since we started working together in September, but as usual, I always had something "more important" that I needed to be doing. This time when she asked me to join a Tuesday night league I jumped at the opportunity and could not think of a better second leaf to my wholehearted lifestyle. It was a bit nerve-racking going to the gym not really knowing anyone on my team, but I embraced the moment and definitely got out of my comfort zone. And I am SO happy I did. It felt great to get away from my routine, to meet new people and to be able to play something I love. I am really looking forward to Tuesday nights for the next few months and am already planning how I will keep playing after the league ends!

My inspiration also comes from another one of my co-workers, Michael, who gave a tranining on Thursday about embracing our authentic selves. I thought his topic fit perfectly with my new mindset towards life as well as my goal to love and accept parts of myself as they are. During the training, he asked us to think about peak experiences we have had in our life, moments where we felt completely connected to what we were doing. For me, volleyball has been one of those peak experiences. My club team in college was definitely one of a kind. We had a connection with one another that will always be irreplaceable. My teammates taught me the importance of having fun. We were competive and worked very hard, but we always found a way to have a great time off the court. These moments shared with them made me reflect on where I am now and how I am incorporating what I learned from my team. I realize that my busy lifestyle has caused me to forget about having fun and doing what I love. I have really stopped being my authentic self. The lesson I take this week is from the girls that helped me realize how to let loose. Leaf two is dedicated to having fun, doing more of what I love, and loving who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment