Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Leaf Ten: Following Through

First off, a big thank you to all my friends and family who have been incredibly supportive about fifty-two leaves. Thanks for all your kind words and inspiring thoughts. It was a big step for me to broadcast the blog on Facebook and I am blessed to have such amazing people in my life to stand by me!



Leaf ten is dedicated to one of those amazing people, my girlfriend Maggie. I have known Mags since my first class in college. Even before I met her, I knew she had the kind of presence that lights up a room. She is exceptionally sweet, kind, and an absolute blast to be around. After our freshmen year, Mags and I (along with our two other gorgeous friends, Lex and Melo), moved into together. I honestly could not have asked for better roommates throughout college. Let’s just say we had some pretty good times (I’ll have to save those stories for another time!). Anyways, Mags and I have always been close. We seem to be a lot alike on the emotional level so I think we always understood one another. Mags taught me so much about working hard and following your dreams. She has an energy unlike anyone I know and consistently brings a smile to my face. This past weekend she planned one of the greatest parties I have even been to for her boyfriend, Joe. She surprised him by having all his college buddies come out for the weekend to celebrate. I received an email regarding the party about a month ago. I was so impressed with Mags’s ability to plan and coordinate such an event. She told me I had to come and I put it down on my calendar.  The week before the party, I got a bit worried about my busy schedule and did not know if I could swing a L.A. trip in with my workload. I remember feeling stressed out, overwhelmed, and like always, I opted to backing out because the party would interrupt my routine. Mags didn’t let me off the hook that easy. Like I said earlier, Mags knows me emotionally and understands how I get sometimes when I’m caught up in one of my “perfection” episodes. She talked to me about how great the party was going to be and how much it would mean to her for me to be there.



The second part was what really mattered…the part about following through to those who mean the most. Since graduation, I have not seen or spent enough time with Mags and she is only 2 hours away! There were a lot of things that got in the way of me making the trip to see Mags and my other friends. I was too absorbed in a relationship (again, another story for another time) that I did not take the time to do what I loved. Let’s just say things have really changed since then.  Last week, Mags reminded me why I started this journey…to share meaningful moments with those who make me a better person. Although I only went up for Saturday, it was completely worthwhile. It was fun to surprise Joe and be around all his friends. It was the first time Mags and I got to have girl time since college. We picked up right where we left off and I felt so at home. Thank you to Mags for all you do and for letting me be a part of this exciting event!!



A quick trip to L.A. also allowed me to surprise a little girl, Alex, I used to babysit. I called her mom on my way and found out that they were having Alex’s birthday party. It worked out perfectly for me to stop by and surprise her. It was awesome to see such a big smile on Al’s face! There are so many opportunities to take advantage of when we stop worrying and just go for it. I got to spend time with a great friend, meet many new people, and surprise a beautiful little girl on her birthday...what a fabulous weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment