Monday, March 26, 2012

Leaf Twelve: Standing Tall


“Laughter, song, and dance create an emotional and spiritual connection; they remind us of the one thing that truly matters when we are searching for comfort, celebration, inspiration, or healing: We are not alone” –Dr. Brené Brown



Wow, I amazed how quickly time passes and how much growth can be made. Twelve weeks ago I started a journey completely unsure of what to expect. These past three months have taught me more about myself than I could have ever imagined. There are days where I wonder how it was possible to live the way I did before. This change within me has been absolutely terrifying at times, but I have also never felt so alive and so connected to others. My leaf this week is about celebration, living free, and standing tall. Over the past few weeks I have had several opportunities to celebrate someone special in my life. I went to L.A., to San Fran, and this past weekend Las Vegas to spend time with people who help me remember I am not alone. Finally discovering a place within myself that allows me to feel an inner freedom has made each of these experiences especially meaningful. There is something about connecting with others that leaves me feeling fulfilled and excited about life. At this time I feel so very blessed and grateful for the incredible friends and family I have in my life.



During my flight to Las Vegas I revisited Dr. Brown’s chapter about cultivating laughter, song, and dance in our lives. She talked about being able to let go of her insecurities and dance in the mall with her daughter. The story made me smile. Most of us, myself included, are terrified of that vulnerability…to dance (or sing) in public with others around to judge or laugh or whatever they may do. What I have noticed, is when I reach a place where I can let go of those thoughts. When I stop caring about what others think. I feel a poweful freedom and sense of peace. I feel confident in who I am. I take chances and live in the moment. Lately I have noticed it has been easier for me to reach that place and I am so thankful for that.



My whole life I have always been abnormally tall. Growing up, I was uncoordinated, awkward, and extremely bony. Luckily for me I had a mom who always made me feel special. She enrolled me in a dance class at age three and I continued until I was about twelve. I was never the best dancer, but I loved the fun costumes, make-up, and reason to smile non-stop. Those early years in dance helped me embrace myself. I eventually grew into my body and discovered I was more of an athlete than a dancer, but (as I said several leaves earlier) my love to move on the dance floor never changed. This past weekend, inspired by Dr. Brown, I made sure to dance the night away and I even did so in 4-inch heels, a pair of shoes I typically avoid at all costs. Since the start of this journey, I have noticed that I have been standing a little taller (both literally and figuratively) and for the first time in my life I am finally okay with being 6’0 ft. It is a part of my identity…it makes me who I am and I am now realizing it is a gift that should be celebrated. I challenge each one of you to celebrate something about who you are. And if you have not already, purchase Dr. Brown’s book “The Gifts of Imperfection” I promise it will move you in ways you have never thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment