Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Leaf Thirteen: Alive in the Sand


My indoor volleyball league ended a few weeks ago and like I promised myself in my first blog post about volleyball, I made sure to continue to play. Playing volleyball grounded me. It helped me reconnect to a part of myself that I had been missing for a while. I really enjoyed the league I played in and was able to meet and make connections with so many different people. It was a great experience that left me confident to spread my wings and take on a new challenge. Beach volleyball has always been something that I have really wanted to become involved in since I moved to San Diego. Unfortunately, I let me fear of incompetence and busy routine get in the way of trying something new. Over the past few weeks I have been waking up early and heading to the beach for a volleyball clinic. I thought I loved the sport before, but there is something about the sand, the ocean air, and playing what I love that I cannot get enough of…not to mention is probably one of the best workouts I have ever had!! It has been a challenge adjusting from indoor to beach and there are a lot of skills I need to make adjustments and improvements on. But one thing that I have noticed, which I attribute to my wholehearted journey, is that I have been able to let go of my self-criticalness and fear of being perceived as inadequate. A big thanks goes out to Coach Heather, who creates an incredible, warm, and welcoming environment to learn in. She is an amazing motivator and example. I love her passion and commitment to the sport. Although I cannot give a lot of time during the week to play, I value my Friday mornings. The small changes to my routine have a large impact on my well-being. I am happier, healthier, more courageous and self-compassionate. Instead of being hard on myself for not having enough time, I LOVE the moments I get to play and learn. As Dr. Brown continually reminds me in her book, wholehearted living is a process. I am engaging in that process right now, taking baby steps to make lifelong changes, which include embracing the good days with the bad. I’m feeling the impact of my journey. I am feeling alive. This week I leave you with a quote Dr. Brown shares in her book, which I believe speaks to us on such a deep level: 

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive” –Howard Thurman

1 comment:

  1. Great article! Now take the leap and join us at South Mission Beach Friday mornings! I just recently worked with a player brand new to beach volleyball with little experience. I was able to work with her and she successfully spiked on a men's net. Yes, a men's net--that eight foot obstacle that renders us all helpless at times and triumphant at others.

    Make the summer of 2012 the best of your life as you spike the ball with ease. Call it breakthrough, call it revelation. In any situation, find catharis in crushing nectar sets, having fun and enjoying the experience of beach volleyball. Are you ready to make the leap and bound out of the sand? Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete