Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Leaf Six: Running Wholeheartedly


This week I indulged in a beach run at one of my favorite spots in San Diego. Typically, I stick to the loop around my house, but how boring is that? I live about 10 minutes from the beach, 20 minutes from this particular spot, and I haven’t been taking advantage of it nearly enough. It is crazy to me how easy it is to neglect the gifts that are right in front of me. I love running, especially in San Diego, especially on or near the beach, yet I am quick to stick with the easy route because it is more convenient. Today during my run, I made a promise to myself to enjoy more moments like this. To wake up an extra hour earlier so I can fit in a beach run before a long day at work. Who knows how much longer I will have the opportunity to have the beach so close? Now is the time to love what is right in front of me.


Six weeks into my new adventure and I absolutely love life. There is an amazing freedom that comes with letting go of past insecurities, mundane routines, and perfection. It has been extremely powerful for me to watch the transformation of myself that has occurred in this journey to self-compassion. I think it is so difficult to take a step back sometimes and realize how quickly life is going to pass us by if we never stop to embrace the present moment. I have still my bad days. There are times when I’m self-critical and have feelings of inadequacy, but I have noticed that those days are happening less and are not has difficult as they have been in the past. It is my wish that everyone has the opportunity to enjoy what is right in front of them, to take advantage of it and not sweat the small things. It takes time and effort, but I can honestly say this has been the greatest six weeks of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment