Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Leaf Five: Everday I'm Shufflin'




My escapades this past weekend truly embody my goal to live in the moment and experience the freedom of my own self-criticism. After a long day of work and studying on Friday, I decided I needed to take a break. I was feeling the strain of my routine and took advantage of meeting up with some friends in Mission Beach. Typically this kind of behavior would be completely against my strict rules as I have a very important test coming up. I am realizing, however, that those important things become more important when I am in a happy, healthy place internally. So Friday night I indulged in time for myself and did it without feeling guilty. It turned out to be one of the better decisions I’ve made. It felt great to be around people and although I really only knew one person, I took advantage of making new friends.  There was also great music playing and dancing happens to be one for my favorite things to do. Mostly it happens in my room or when I am out with all my girls.  This Friday there was not many people on the dance floor and being six feet tall I knew I would stand out like a sore thumb.  Remembering my new mindset, I decided to make my way out to the dance floor where I happened to make a new friend who was not only a fantastic dancer, but a great teacher as well. Normally I would be too shy to dance in a bar where no one else is really dancing and would be even shyer to ask for someone to teach me their moves.... Well not this time. I have literally been fascinated with shuffling ever since I knew it existed. I wanted to learn, but that would mean getting out of my comfort zone, possibly being imperfect…basically all the things I try to avoid. Anyways, long story short, I learned to shuffle and I had probably one of the best Friday night’s in a long time. It felt so good to be out, mingling with people, and not worrying about what the world thought and more importantly, not worrying about what I thought. Leaf five is dedicated to dancing, both figuratively and literally. I want to keep on dancing in all areas of my life. Here’s to living in the moment and embracing the people, places and things around me. Until next week, I hope you all find a way to dance! J

No comments:

Post a Comment