Friday, May 25, 2012

Leaf Twenty: Meaningful Work


This week I am filled with immense amounts of gratitude and love. There are so many people that have helped me reach for the stars and persevere to accomplishing my dreams. Leaf twenty marks my graduation for my Master’s in Marriage and Family Therapy, and while I have clinical hours to complete over the summer, I am so proud to be celebrating this weekend with many loved ones and individuals who helped me achieve the meaningful work I have taken on over the years. It has been an incredible, life-changing journey, and I am absolutely thrilled to start the next chapter.


A few years ago during my undergraduate studies, I wanted to give up. Moving from small town Utah to the big city of Angels was becoming too much, too difficult, and unsafe. Looking back, I was afraid of exploring the depths of who I was becoming. I wanted to run home, get married, and not have to figure out what I really wanted out of life. What I have learned is that discovering who you are requires, effort, it requires meaningful work.


When I had this “breakdown” in college, my family was not falling for it. One thing I am especially blessed with is a support system who truly has my best interest at heart, even though they know I won’t like what they have to say at times. My parents were especially upset with my willingness to give up and come home, but like most kids do, I wasn’t listening to what they had to say. My Aunt Delise on the other hand caught my attention. She gave me some words of wisdom that I will never forget and that have stuck with me throughout this journey. She said:


“The greatest sin you could ever commit would be to not live up to your potential, to not fully embrace the gifts that God has given you”
 

At the time, I was upset and angry at her. I did not want her to be right, because that meant I had to do the work and the easy way out wasn’t an option. I learned that day that the people who love us have the ability to hold us accountable on the deepest level. And let me tell you, choosing to do the work has been the greatest story of my life. I am proud to say today that I am living up to my potential. I am truly embracing the gifts I have been given and cultivating meaning in my life.
 

My successes thus far have been inspired by so many family and friends,, but none greater than my parents. They have always believed in me, encouraged me, and supported me through it all. I believe wholeheartedly that our parents are the instigators in our growth. My parents stimulated my growth to the highest level. They have paved the way for me and I feel incredibly blessed to be following in their footsteps. There will never be enough words for the amount of gratitude and love I have for them. Mom and dad, you are my rock and I am stronger because of your love. Thank you for teaching me how to value and truly love life.


Graduation was also made possibly because of the love, support and guidance of my Grandma Tini. This woman holds my heart and soul and I am at a loss of words to express how thankful I am for her in my life. She has an unconditional acceptance of who I am and I never doubt her belief in me. I hope she knows how much I value the support and love she has provided in my life. There is something to be said about having a role model who provides constant, unconditional love and guidance for whatever I am doing. Big or small, no matter what, my grandma will always be there. I love you Gram, thank you for giving me the world.


I am also here today because of the generosity, kindness, support, and unconditional love from my Uncle Blake and Aunt Delise. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for them and the incredible gift they have given me in my life. It is an honor to be able to stand here and to share this amazing chapter of my journey with them. The faith they placed in me to succeed and embrace this beautiful gift has given me a strength that will be a part of my life forever. You both have inspired me throughout the years and I cannot even begin to describe the amount of respect and love I have for you. Thank you for giving with your whole hearts and loving me, I love you both deeply.


My brothers probably don’t know this, but they have been an important, inspiring part of my life. They are one of the many reasons I have been able to chase my dreams. I have always wanted to set an example for them, be there rock, and never let them down. The truth is, they are my example and my rock. Heath and Kaden – I look up to you both in so many ways and feel so blessed to be your sister. You love me for me and have always been there to pick me up and make me laugh. Most importantly, you have taught me how to love life and who I am. I cannot imagine this world without either of you. Thank you for loving me, supporting me, and sharing this journey with me.


This weekend I have so many amazing people to share this moment with. I am overwhelmed with joy and appreciation for the amount of love and support I feel. I am here today because of the incredible people I have in my life and their unconditional love and support for me. Thank you for not only sharing this special day with me, but this beautiful, beautiful thing we call life.


No comments:

Post a Comment